TDC celebrated 75 years as an organization! And we’re feeling bright and youthful as ever.
This year, Ksenya Samarskaya was appointed as Managing Director—the first such position of its kind in the organization’s history. Read some interviews on TDC’s re-awakening and projected direction as published in Creative Review, PRINT, and Typeroom, and the zooming out toward a greater global focus as discussed in Creative Factor and IDEA Japan. In 2022, Samarskaya worked alongside an Advisory Board of Anıl Aykan, Paul Carlos, Douglas Davis, Maria Doreuli, Manija Emran, Kimya Gandhi, Kara Gordon, John Kudos, Elaine Lopez, Saki Mafundikwa, Sol Matas, Joe Newton, Jon Key, Trisha Tan, and Chris Sergio, as well as longtime TDC Director Carol Wahler (and the One Club for Creativity staff!), reaching many new milestones together.
- Focusing on inclusion rather than hierarchy, and all of the far-reaching places where typography lives, TDC updated its slogan to “the shape of language”
- TDC pivoted toward virtual—and global—inclusivity by moving more of our programming digital-first. We held numerous virtual salons, starting with TDC68 type design panels (one such panel is summarized in Typegeist by Nadine Chahine), Ascenders panels, and duplexing into two virtual conferences, our springtime Type Drives Culture: 75 Years, and an autumn Type Drives Culture: Ezhishin.
- Ezhishin, the first-ever conference dedicated to Native North American typography received love and support from our community and the greater public alike (read some behind-the-scenes in Alphabettes, Hyperallergic, and PRINT).
- Focusing on disparate communities and economies also brought TDC to incorporate global price parity, where all TDC competitions from the world’s 50% poorest countries get 60% off the sticker price, and another 25% of the regions receive 20% off (these are then able to be combined with TDC’s 20% Member discounts).
- TDC69 branding was for the first time designed by a designer outside of the Global West, Japanese lettering artist Ryu Mieno.
- Our exhibitions continued to travel the world—including France, Germany, Spain, and Poland in Europe; Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan in Asia; New Zealand and beyond.
All in all—an incredible year. And we’re not the only one that has been excited by all of our recent momenta—articles about TDC shot up 265% over the previous year, and our social engagement similarly witnessed an exponential rise. So don’t be left out—follow us on Instagram, LinkedIn, and all of our social platforms as @typedirectors, and we look forward to seeing you in 2023!