Type Directors Club is celebrating design month in New York City with type talks, walks, meet-ups, exhibitions, and live-streaming events! Join in!
The Type Directors Club May calendar is particularly full as we join forces with three special design celebrations in New York that spotlight great type and design:
- The One Club’s Creative Week, an exciting line-up of awards galas that honor the year’s best in advertising and design.
- Creative Tech Week, where interdisciplinary developers, designers, executives, artists and academics meet to talk about creative technologies.
- NYC x Design, New York City’s massive design promotion, which includes a design pavilion in Times Square, a student showcase, and special events in Brooklyn.
Type Directors Club is hosting events throughout the city – at the club, at Parsons, the Museum of Arts and Design (MAD), in letter walks in Brooklyn and Midtown, and (virtually) on YouTube. Here’s our calendar at a glance:
- May 1 – May 29: Painting with Letters, an exhibition of book covers and typograms featuring the work of Spain’s National Design Award recipient, Manuel Estrada.(Part of the NYC x Design calendar.)
- May 2: TDC welcomes type enthusiasts for a Type Thursday critique and social gathering!
- May 7: Type Walk with historian and designer Paul Shaw to find letters and signs on buildings and infrastructure in Midtown, from the Empire State Building to the United Nations. (Part of the Creative Week calendar.)
- May 7: Book Night at MAD (Museum of Arts and Design) — one of our most popular annual events — with three top book cover designers and art directors – Nicole Caputo, Alex Merto, and Jason Ramirez.
- May 8: TDC + AIGA host a discussion on Craft and Originality at Parsons. Charles Nix talks with Christian Schwartz, Jennifer Kinon, Ksenya Samarskaya, and Naomi Abel.
- May 16: A talk by TDC Medalist David Berlow, co-founder of Font Bureau and Type Network, streams live on YouTube from Google headquarters in New York. (Part of the NYC x Design calendar.)
- May 17: Jason Pamental hosts an all-day workshop at Type Directors Club, “Great Typography on the Web with Variable Fonts.” (Part of the NYC x Design and Creative Tech Week calendars.)
- May 19: Paul Shaw takes us on another Type Walk through Downtown Brooklyn and Boerum Hill. (Part of the NYC x Design calendar.)
- May 29: Manuel Estrada returns from Madrid for a gallery talk on the final day of his exhibition, Painting with Letters.
Members receive significant discounts to all these events, walks, and workshops, so if you are not a member, please join!
And we just had to remind you about the special type and design exhibitions on display during May in New York:
- Through May 2: Italian Types: Graphic Designers from Italy in America at the Italian Cultural Institute, held in collaboration with the Lubalin Study Center of Design and Typography at The Cooper Union.
- Through May 19: Paula Scher: The Art of Map Design at Jim Kempner Fine Art gallery.
- Through June 15: The Value of Good Design at the Museum of Modern Art, which looks back to the Good Design initiative of the 1950s and examines its relevance today.
- Through July 7: Jan Tschichold and the New Typography: Graphic Design Between the World Wars at Bard Graduate Center Gallery.
- Through August 18: Too Fast to Live, Too Young To Die: Punk Graphics, 1976 – 1986 at Museum of Arts and Design (MAD). On May 9, AIGA-NY presents a panel with Steven Heller and others on punk’s influence on American design.