This year’s Type Drives Culture conference tackles the role of design in our systems-based world
The Type Directors Club celebrates the undeniable significance of typography around the world. We are a global community of experts and enthusiasts who are united by the shared belief that type drives culture. And culture drives type.
Formation: The Changing Faces of Typography is a day-long conference created to examine the role of design in our systems-based world. Come hear Brian Collins, Sheila Levrant De Bretteville, Petr van Blokland, Michael Rock, Saki Mafundikwa, Andrew Blauvelt, Tori Hinn, and more share their vision for the future of design.
Communication and type design has witnessed a profound shift from the creation of artifacts to the creation of systems that respond to time, media, and user interaction. Parametric typography, variable fonts, design-on-demand, algorithms, and artificial intelligence have altered the landscape of type and design to expand how, what, and why we make.
If form—as expressed through design—tells a story of time, of place, and of tools, what does it say about who we are today? Where will it live and how will it be experienced? What is the future of form, form-making, and our field?
Formation will bring together leading designers, curators, writers, and thinkers to explore the present and possible futures of design. Conference highlights include:
- Brian Collins, Chief Creative Officer of COLLINS
- A live podcast interview of Sheila Levrant de Bretteville for Scratching the Surface with Jarrett Fuller
- A conversation on the future of our field with Andrew Blauvelt, curator, designer, writer, and Director of the Cranbrook Art Museum; Michael Rock, co-founder of 2×4; and moderated by Juliette Cezzar, writer, designer, and Associate Professor at Parsons School of Design
- Petr van Blokland, software author and typeface designer
- Saki Mafundikwa, the founder of Zimbabwe’s first graphic design program, ZIVA, and the author of Afrikan Alphabets
- Mitch Paone, creative director of DIA, on kinetic identity design and typography
- Anna Kulachek, Art Director of the Strelka Institute in Moscow
- Branding and design systems with Tori Hinn, Creative Director of Figma
- Tracy Ma, Visual Editor at The New York Times Styles desk
- Stephen Coles, Editorial Director & Associate Curator of the Letterform Archive
- Presentations by award-winning designers Frida Medrano and Andy Clymer on code as a design tool
A two-hour reception with the speakers and panelists will directly follow the presentations.
Conference Committee: YuJune Park (Chair), Paul Carlos, Ingrid Chou, Juan Carlos Pagan, Elizabeth Carey Smith, Juan Villanueva, Carol Wahler
Conference Identity: Synoptic Office
Type Directors Club is organizing this annual Type Drives Culture event with support from the Communication Design programs at Parsons School of Design at The New School.